Endometriosis Excision Specialist in Palo Alto, California
Why Does Endometriosis Occur?
Despite centuries of research, the cause of endometriosis is still unknown. However, several theories have been proposed, including the retrograde menstruation hypothesis, which was reported over 300 years ago, in the 17th century.
The most widely proposed theories of pathogenesis include:
- Retrograde Menstruation Theory (also called Sampson’s Theory)
- Mullerian/Embryologic Theory
- Coelomic Metaplasia Theory
- Lymphatic or Hematologic Spread Theory
- Stem Cell Theory
- Iatrogenic Implantation Theory
- Environmental Triggers
- Genetic and/or Epigenetic Triggers
- Hybrid Theories